ICC - International Certificate Of Competence

2019 - We currently have a full schedule with no spaces on courses locally

As well as RYA training we offer the International Certificate of Competence (ICC). The ICC is covered when you do an RYA Level 2 course with Blue Ride. 

The ICC is for boat owners visiting the many countries where these certificates of competence are required.

If you are planning to sail, cruise or charter anywhere in Europe or the Mediterranean the RYA recommends that skippers hold the ICC.

Misconceptions About The ICC

The informal acceptance of the ICC by many EU countries has contributed to the common misconception that the ICC is the boating equivalent of the EU driving licence for road vehicles, which all EU member states are obliged to accept.

An ICC allows the holder to voyage internationally, but only where the country to be visited has chosen to accept it and subject to any prescriptions made by the visited country. The ICC’s validity is determined by the visited country.

Where The ICC Is Required Or Recommended

The requirement for a certificate of competence varies from country to country. Sometimes they are required for coastal waters, sometimes for inland waters, sometimes for neither and sometimes for both.

In very general terms an ICC is required for the inland waterways of Europe and for inland and coastal waters of Mediterranean countries. For the coastal waters of Northern Europe the ICC is generally not required. Always ask before travelling!

To find out more about ICC dates and courses to suit you:-

For more information Contact us

RIB, powerboat and RYA courses in Mudeford, Christchurch Harbour, Christchurch Bay, Bournemouth Bay, Hampshire and Dorset

Latest News

05.08.2019 - Fastnet 79 - Learning from Hard Lessons at Sea

In the 1979 Fastnet Race I was sailing on…

Read all News Stories